Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Music's Effect on Mind and Body


What does music do to the body and mind? What happens in your body when you hear music that you love? Do you feel energy, calm, great joy and happiness, sadness and grief, anger, love? Well, of course, it depends upon the music you're hearing but all of the feelings can easily be elicited by music. How does this happen? It's all about brain chemistry and the process of entrainment. The brain responds instantaneously to pain, pleasure and emotion of all kind. Different neurochemicals are released into the brain and the body responds. Most of us know exactly what music to reach for to get the response we're looking for.
Putting drugs into your system can do many of the same things but why risk addiction, dependence, and even prison! Reach for your favorite music instead! Questions? Drop me a line!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it true that music can also have the reverse effect? Such as leading to a suicide or some other type of mental disorder?

Anonymous said...

I am doing research on how music effectrs the brain. Music can do many things to the brain. New Age music is actually the best because it has a calm tone to it. If you dont like some music then consider it noise. Noise is a lot different than music. Music pleases the mind. Music can lead to suicide, but only certain types of music. My Chemical Romance talks about death and stuff but it never lead me to the thought of suicide. You have to find a certain type of music if you want your mind to belive thatg your life sucks. In my oppinion your mind influences and interprets songs in its own way. So be careful to what you listen to really.

Yezy said...

I totally support that comment that was posted above me. It all depends on the lyrics and what it reminds you of. For some people some certain songs can lead them to suicide because of the lyrics. I don't think it really matters what genre it is.I hear My Chemical Romance and many people (who probably haven't heard their interviews and songs) say they can lead you to suicide. This is not true. It actually helped me go through many problems I had. My conclusion is that it depends on how you take the lyrics of a song.