Thursday, October 25, 2007

Lee Luvisi, my former teacher, will play tonight!

Tonight I will go to the University of Louisville School of Music to hear my former piano professor play a recital of J.S. Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier. I have been looking forward to this for a long time because not only is Luvisi a superb pianist, but Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier is one of the great masterpieces of the keyboard literature.
Well, I'm back now and it was simply gorgeous. Words simply cannot describe the beauty of this music and the sheer genius it represents. Luvisi is going through all 48 preludes and fugues in chromatic order over a four-week period. Tonight he played the first 8 preludes and fugues from Bk. I. The D Major Prelude and the final G Major prelude were my favorites but really each one is just gorgeous. These pieces were written for the harpsichord but many modern pianists play them on the piano and I believe that Bach would have approved! Stay tuned for next week's report!

No comments: